Monday, May 14, 2007

Happy Mother's Day - A Day Late

Yesterday like so many I paid a visit to my mom to wish her Happy Mother’s Day. Now I hadn’t seen in three months. I’m sure it is the same for many people of this world. I bet some didn’t even go visit they just made a phone call, or sent a card. There are even some that didn’t visit, didn’t call or even send a card. We forget sometimes in this busy world we live in what is truly important.

So yesterday I drove over to visit mom. It had been a long time since I had been there. It was February 20. That was the last time I was there. I pulled in and drove the windy roads and parked. Walked through the field and stopped. I looked down at her tombstone. I tried to remember her voice. Her words of encouragement while growing up. The long talks we would have on the phone as I was driving home from work. The advice she used to give me is definitely missed. She was the rock that held our family together. And her absence has left a hole in our family that cannot be healed.

For those of you who are too busy to go see your mom, stop and think for a moment what it would be like not to have her around. It’s a reality my family and I have to live with every single day. You won’t have a chance to go back and undo the mistakes. You will miss out on important time. I know Mother’s Day has come and gone. But that doesn’t mean you can’t pick up a phone, drive across town or even send a card. Something to let her know you are thinking about her. It’s the least you can do for the woman that gave you life and cared for you while growing up. You owe her that. And if you do, I guarantee you won’t regret the time you get with her.

No comments: