Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I Want To Be a Weatherman

Why do I want this you ask? Well it is the only job I can think of that you can be wrong 99 percent of the time and still keep your job. Imagine an air traffic controller being wrong that much of the time. Hell, even in my line of work if I was wrong that much of the time I wouldn’t have my job for long. It has to be nice to look at a computer and then just guess what the weather is going to be like. Who cares if you are right or wrong at least you took a stab at it.

While I’m on this subject let’s talk about a couple of things they say. Partly cloudy and mostly sunny. Okay am I the only one here who doesn’t see much of a difference in these two “terms” used by so many? Do these terms merely mark the difference between the pessimistic and the optimistic weatherman? What do they really mean anyway. Exactly how many clouds have to be in the sky for it to be partly cloudy or partly sunny or mostly cloudy or mostly sunny. I mean really when you come down to it these terms make little sense they just sound good. While I’m on this subject think about this…sometimes you will hear them say mostly sunny skies with a *insert percentage here* chance of showers. Now I don’t know about the rest of you but if it’s raining it’s rare that it’s sunny.

Why can’t they just admit that they really don’t know what is going to happen they just think it will be this way or that way. Why confuse us with terms that only sound good but have no real meaning. I guess they do this because it sounds good on T.V. The next time a user comes up to me and asks why their computer broke I think I will just say there is a 20 percent chance of hardware failure, 40 percent chance of user error but don’t worry your monitor glow is mostly sunny. I want to be a weatherman. Until next time…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hehehe... I like the notion of weatherman psychology. "Partly cloudy" instead of "half empty" is a sweet line of thought!

As for the being wrong all the time, it's clearly not for their accuracy that they get paid. It's for their presentability, much like any news anchor. Do you think they're the ones actually digging up the information on how the weather's going to turn out? No, they just read the script floating before them on the camera monitors, and are paid to look and sound good. Hand-waving is an art!

The actual meteorologists, well, they may botch it up often enough. I doubt that they are paid just to figure out the weather either, but certainly it seems like a line of work which has more leeway than most!